Neuromodulators for Hyperhidrosis
Statistics show 2 of every 5 Canadians report that sweating is an issue for them. If your sweating concerns are influencing your everyday choices, you may be suffering from hyperhidrosis (HH), a medical condition that causes needless sweating.
If you answer “Yes” to 3 or more of the following questions, you may have hyperhidrosis:
• Does sweating have an impact on your lifestyle?
• Does embarrassment or nervousness cause you to sweat?
• Do thoughts of sweating consume you on a daily basis?
• Do you worry that others may notice your sweat marks?
• Do you carry deodorant with you on daily basis?
• Do you avoid light coloured clothing because you tend to have sweat marks?
• Do you avoid physical contact with people because of your sweating?
• Are you only able to wear certain materials to avoid sweat marks?
• Does your sweating impact your summer wardrobe choices?
• Safe and effective
• Non-surgical treatment of excessive sweating in underarms, hands and feet
• Quick and painless treatment
• Results can last up to 6 months
Neuromodulator injections can be used as a way to temporarily improve hyperhidrosis for up to 6 months. The injections work to prevent the activation of the sweat glands, freeing you from dreaded sweat marks. During treatment, very low doses of the neuromodulator are injected directed into the muscles in the affected areas. These injections have the ability to temporarily block the secretion of the chemical that is responsible for activating the body’s sweat glands, effectively preventing sweating in the injected area.
The treatment will take roughly 20 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the area being treated. Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Your aesthetic professional may choose to numb the area with a cold pack prior to performing the injection to minimize any discomfort. A tiny needle is used to inject small amounts of the neuromodulator just under the skin of the areas that experience excessive sweating. Most patients experience a painless and comfortable experience and are immediately able to resume their daily routine.
After treatment you may experience some mild redness which usually lasts for approximately an hour. Rarely, patients may experience some minor bruising and swelling. Most patients return to regular activity immediately. Sleeping or strenuous exercise should be avoided for 4 hours after injection.
Neuromodulator injections are a good option for those considering temporary and non-surgical options to reduce sweating. You should notice a significant reduction of sweating from the treated areas within a week of your treatment. These injections do not remove or permanently deactivate sweat glands and so ongoing maintenance visits are required to retain the effect. Each person’s level of sweating varies; however, most patients find that two treatments a year often produce the desired effect.